What happens when you bring scientists and religious leaders into the same room for four days?
Some may assume it could result in discord, disagreement, or utter chaos. Often, there is a perceived dichotomy between the faith and science communities, with some believing that religion and science cannot coexist.
For more than two decades, Rabbi Sholom D. Lipskar, emissary of the Lubavitcher Rebbe and Founder/Spiritual Leader of The Shul in Surfside, and Dr. Nathan Katz, Distinguished Professor, Emeritus, at Florida International University, together with multiple distinguished rabbis and scientists convene to discuss how science is not only an important study but fundamental to our Jewish beliefs.
Join us this December in sunny Surfside, Florida for our 11th International Torah and Science Conference on “Heart, Mind, Behavior and Purpose: Torah, Science, Mindfulness and Relevance for a Meaningful Life”
Some of the invigorating discussions will explore:
- What is a meaningful life?
- How can we train our minds to be more peaceful and alert?
- What is the Torah’s relevance for our health and well-being?
- Can meditation be kosher?
- How exactly does meditation affect the brain?
- What is spiritual heredity according to Maimonides, Carl Jung, and the first Lubavitcher Rebbe?
- What does the Torah teach about diet and cardiology?
- Is a biography fact or myth?
- Does the Genesis account of creation contradict or support evolution?
- What are the uses of the Internet in the world of religion?
- What tensions arise as new medical sciences confront us with ethical dilemmas?
Among the speakers are eminent cardiologists, psychologists, neuroscientists, masters of Oriental medicine, meditation teachers, rabbis, scholars of religion and literature, a medical engineer and a mathematician. Thinking together about meaning in life, such a variegated program will yield new insights, practical advice, and intellectual richness.
The Conference begins with an inspiring and warm Shabbaton on December 11-12, 2015 at The Shul, 9540 Collins Avenue in Surfside.
Starting Saturday December 12 at 8:00 p.m. and running through Monday, December 14, there will be academic programs featuring panels, lectures, roundtable discussions, and a Jewish meditation workshop.
SOME OF OUR SPEAKERS:
- Rabbi Avraham Steinberg, M.D., pediatric neurologist and Israel Prize winner and professor at Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem
- Rabbi Moshe Tendler of Yeshiva University, where he teaches both Biology and Rabbinics
- Daniel Drubach, a neurologist at the Mayo Institute
- Cardiologists Alan Rozanski, M.D. Chief of Cardiology at St Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital and Professor of Medicine at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City
- Arthur Agatston M.D., author of “The South Beach Diet”
- Norman Goldwasser, Ph.D., a well-known psychologist in Miami Beach
- Nathan Aviezer of department of Physics, Bar-Ilan University in Israel
ORGANIZERS: Rabbi Sholom Dovber Lipskar, emissary of the Lubavitcher Rebbe and Founder/Spiritual Leader of The Shul in Surfside, Prof. Joseph Bodenheimer, former president of the Jerusalem Institute of Technology, and Prof. Nathan Katz, Distinguished Professor, Emeritus, at Florida International University.
WHERE AND WHEN: The conference will take place at The Shul, 9540 Collins Avenue, Surfside FL 33154 from Saturday evening, December 12, 2015 until Monday evening, December 14, 2015.
The conference is preceded by an inspiring and insightful Shabbat weekend, December 11-12, during which the scientists and rabbis will speak informally and interact with conference attendees over delicious meals, drinks, and heartfelt prayers.
Cost for the Friday night Shabbat dinner is $40 for members of The Shul, $50 for non-members, half price for children under 13. Reservations and payment in advance is required to attend the Shabbat Dinner. Contact The Shul at 305-868-1411 before Tuesday, December 8, 2015.
THE CONFERENCE ITSELF IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AND FREE OF CHARGE.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Please visit torahscienceconference.org or e-mail Dr. Nathan Katz at: email@example.com